Up and at ’em, Norfolk! It’s Friday, so let’s get you started with everything you need to know going on today in town.
First, today’s weather:
Occasional afternoon rain. High: 44 Low: 30.
Here are the top three stories today in Norfolk:
- Fire crews responded to a house fire near Sewells Point Road in Norfolk’s Washington Park neighborhood on Thursday. The fire broke out at around 2:35 pm at the house located in the 7500 block of Paulin Court, according to dispatch. No injuries were reported. (WAVY.com)
- In a 7-1 vote, Norfolk City Council has voted to accept state money for the Granby Street bike lanes. In Tuesday’s vote, council members voted to accept more than $820,000 in state funds, which will be used to add bike lanes and make safety improvements to a busy two-mile stretch of Granby Street. The lone “no” vote came from Councilman Paul Riddick. (WAVY.com)
- Looking for something fun to do this weekend? Look no further — this calendar is full of local events in and around Norfolk that are sure to be a great time! Check out The Ultimate Eagles Tribute at Elevation 27, or take part in America’s largest interactive comedy murder mystery dinner show on Saturday at . (Norfolk Patch)
From our sponsor:
Tackling a big to-do list around the house to start the new year? Our partners at thumbtack, the home services app, have made hiring trusted local pros for pretty much any job extremely easy and intuitive. In minutes, you can find a painter, plumber, roofer or someone to help with small jobs such as trash hauling or appliance repair. And Thumbtack’s rating system can give you confidence that you’re hiring a quality per you can count on. Click here to get started.
Today in Norfolk:
- Internet basics, Norfolk Public Library Virtual (12:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- A happy 97th birthday to you Norfolk-VA Beach Junior League! What better way to celebrate than by helping them reach their goal of 97 donors? (instagram)
- Prepare now for the winter weather. the York St Garage opens at noon on Friday until 8 pm on Sun, Jan 30. Street parking is removed downtown along boush st, Granby St, plume st, main st., City Hall Ave., and the 400 blocks of Monticello Ave., to allow for plowing operations.
Loving the Norfolk Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
Thanks for following along and staying informed. I’ll see you around!
— Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with a degree in English Literature from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a copywriter, editor, SEO specialist, and marketing director for various digital media companies. He currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.